Countdown...


Make your own Countdown Clocks

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

No more sleep for me!!

Well today was another adventurous day in the Cox household. My mom was sitting holding Ashlyn and I was fixing her a bottle and I left the room to go get a bib and I hear my mom in the kitchen saying "baby, baby" and I knew that she had stopped breathing. So I book it into the kitchen and Ashlyn's face is dark red/purple and she is totally not breathing. So I go grab the suction-thingy and start to suction out her mouth and I got nothing... so I decide to call 911 since this time it was lasting longer than it ever had and her face turned colors. So I am on the phone with the dispatcher and she is telling me what to do (bawling my eyes out) and she stayed on the phone with me until the Sheriff's arrived. So they took over and then the ambulance, fire truck, and paramedic all arrive and take over. In the meantime I have my niece call Kevin to let him know what is going on and bless her little heart she couldn't even get the words out to tell him. It really scared her (and me and my mom also). Anyway, so then they say that they are going to transport her to the hospital since she still wasn't breathing just right and it had been about 10 -15 minutes. So to watch them (about 5 workers) carry her out just broke my heart even more. I rode in the front of the ambulance with them since there was 4 workers in the back and not room for me up to the hospital. And we get there and it is such a waiting game while in the ER... ridiculous if you ask me. I mean I have a one month old that wasn't breathing and I saw the doctor twice in 3 1/2 hours and the nurst 3 times is all. I was so mad. But the end result is that they all think it is this stupid reflux crap and that it is normal for how early she was (6 weeks) and from my c-section. So still no REAL answers of why she is doing this and no answer for how long it might last. So we go back to the plan: meds again, feed her little amounts every 2 hours, burp her half way through the feeding and then finish the bottle, she has to remain upright for a minimum of 45 minutes after (we usually do 1 to 1 1/2 hours), sleep on her side propped up, and can't have any pressure on her belly when she is being held, sleeping or in the bouncy chair or swing.
All I have to say is AAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!! And who wants to come take a shift???

8 comments:

Bonnie said...

I'm sorry! That's way scary! I hope she outgrows it SOON.

Teacher Mama said...

I know that you don't know who I am but I was blog-hopping (through Bonnie's) and saw your sweet girl and read your story. I've had 2 little ones with reflux and it is no fun. Hopefully your daughter will outgrow it (my son did at 13 months). One of my friends has a daughter that had reflux and would stop breathing, too. I can't remember the name of the condition but it sounds like what you are going through. They were able to get a machine at home that she wore when she slept and an alarm would go off when she stopped breathing. Good luck with everything!

The Smiths said...

Sleepless nights huh?! I am sorry. She is an angel. I love the pictures of her. I hope she starts doing better.

benandnatty said...

How freaky! I don't think I would have been able to keep calm. What a little stinker to give you all that grief! I hope it doesn't last for long or before she is two years old, you will have a head of grey hair! It is a good thing she is so cute, it helps her cause!

Our Family said...

Robyn, congratulations on your beautiful baby girl, she is very cute...amazing!
I am sorry to read you had such a terrible scare and that everything is now ok!
Well, I know it is hard to imagine now, but you will get to sleep for more than 2-3 hours at a time in about 4 years!
Thanks for looking us up, we will keep in touch!

Anonymous said...

That is such a scary thing! I hope that she is doing better. She is beautiful!

Dustin, Joni & Brighton said...

I'll take a shift Robyn!!! My nephew had it really bad, but he grew out of it!! So Best wishes!

Mar said...

Hang in there Robyn!! At least she makes up for it with cuteness :)