Countdown...


Make your own Countdown Clocks

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Things we do for pets

Kodi comforting Roxi
Sick little Roxi
What a week... and it's only Thursday. Let me rewind. Monday night I went with my sister to Walmart to get a few things for her trip to Kentucky. Well we forgot our coupons so we had Kevin bring them to us. So after we finished shopping there me and Raelyn had to make one more stop before heading home so we sent Kevin home.
Well when we arrived home I saw the chairs pulled away from the dining table and something on the floor underneath. At first I just saw our socks, which is normal, but then I saw some shining packaging. As Kevin is getting the stuff out we realize that it was the sheets that his Advil Cold & Sinus were on, only it was empty. Instantly my heart sank. We decided that she had eaten 4 pills, not good for dogs.
So Kevin says that we need to induce vomiting. I didn't have a clue how to do this but Kevin did. So he brings Roxi into the bathroom and sticks her in the tub and has the hydrogen peroxide. This made me even sicker. So he holds her in the bathtub and I have to be the mean one that injects it in her mouth. So we do the deed and a few minutes later the heaving begins. If you know me, I don't handle crap like that so out of the bathroom I go.
Well she ends up throwing up again and I tell Kevin that we need to call the ER vet. So I take Roxi in the bedroom with me because she just looks miserable and Kevin calls the vet. Well they say that we need to bring her in. So at midnight, I ask my mom if she would be willing to go lay in our room by Ashlyn so that I can go be with Roxi, if things should turn sour.
So we arrive at the vet and we tell them the story and Dr. Sweeney tells us all the things that could possibly happen to her: ulcers, kidney failure, dehyrdration, loss of appetite, seizures. Now I am already a bawling mess at this point so to hear that just made it worse. I prayed my heart out for little Roxi. Now if you have read previous posts, then you know this isn't the first stupid thing that Roxi has eaten... light bulbs, half pan of brownies, chalk, etc... but this time it really scared me.
So the doctor tells us that the next 24 hours she really need to be monitored for the reasons above and that we need to check her pulse also and make sure that it isn't too slow, or too fast. So they give Roxi her first dose of Charcoal to help filter the poison and a shot of Pepcid AC. Then he tells us that we will need to give her 3 more doses of Charcoal at home every 8 hours, followed by a dose of Pepcid once a day, Misoprostol 3 times a day and a dose of sucralfate 3 times a day also. BUT none of these should be taken together and they should be at least hours apart... and I thought having a baby made you lose sleep.
So we head home and that night was MISERABLE! We decided to let Roxi sleep in our bed because if she was having a seizure we wouldn't know if she slept on her pillow on the floor. So we are sleeping and I feel Roxi bolt to the floor and then she starts heaving... twice. And it looked bloody. I was trying to be a big girl and look but inside I was heaving myself. All the while Ashlyn isn't sleeping good either and was awake every 2 hours. So NO SLEEP THERE EITHER! Well Roxi ended up puking I am guessing about 6 more times in the next few hours. She has also pee'd on the floor 4 times which sucks because she has never had accidents in the house.
Well I will skip ahead, but she has puked everyday, won't eat and trying to give her the meds is retarded. She hates it. She is so lethargic which is sad because she is our playful dog so to see her laying around makes me cry even more. It is also affecting Kodi because she is his buddy and he loves to wrestle with her, but he won't even touch her right now. He just mopes right along the side of her.
The good news, is that we bought some food that comes in what looks like a toothpaste tube and she has successfully kept down 2 teaspoons... for 4 hours. YAY! Hopefully we can keep this going and maybe she will be back to solids by the weekend. Keep your fingers crossed.
Well I love my dogs and I will do anything for them. When we bought our first dog Tugg, who we had to put to sleep at 1 1/2 months because of hydrocephalus, me and Kevin both slept on the kitchen floor next to him. Now I think that is love. I just hope that Roxi progresses more because it is killing Kevin inside too. Roxi is HIS dog. She loves him. And to not even have her give us kisses because she is so sick, just tears us both us inside.
Well that is the big prelude to my birthday weekend. There won't be much celebrating going on around here because we can't leave Roxi alone until she is off her meds... next Monday. UGH!

3 comments:

The Stephensen's said...

Poor Roxie...She should stick to brownies! Hope she gets better soon! Love ya;)

The Smiths said...

I am so sorry! I know that is heartbreaking. We have a jack russel (named Roxy as well) and she got into antifreeze once. It was so scary. Good luck and Happy Birthday!

Mande Browning said...

Roxie and her 'boppy'!